Why I Stopped Watching the News

Friday, October 21, 2016 Digi 0 Comments


Earlier this year, I made the decision to stop watching mainstream news on TV and reduce the amount of time I spend on Facebook. I would open my account once in a while just to upload photos and check on my friends. My news feed has become too toxic to be honest. Not that I have become apathetic. I still read online news every now and then, and I agree it's important to stay informed on certain things. It's just that most of the stories I hear about lately has become overwhelmingly negative.

I guess you could say I'm ignoring the real issues. Nope, it's very easy to find information nowadays through Google. I'm aware of the rampant extrajudicial killings, the alleged connections of Senator Leila de Lima with convicted drug lords, the death of Senator Miriam Santiago, and the recent protest dispersal at US Embassy, among other issues. The thing is, I've learned how to control my media intake instead of just letting all kinds of news consume me. 

Some of you may disagree with me on this, and that's okay. You may do as you please, but as for me, it's been almost half a year since I unplugged from too much TV and Facebook, and I regret nothing.

Powered by Blogger.