Redefining Failure
We have a warped perspective of failure. It is something
that we would like to avoid as much as possible. We always post our successes
in our social media accounts but rarely our failures. We constantly strive to
project a perfect life, keeping silent of the truth that we can barely keep our
heads above water.
At 23, I've already lost count of how many times I failed in
the past. Back in 2008, I was accepted in a five-year engineering course in UP.
People think that passing the entrance exam in UP is difficult, but honestly,
getting out of UP is the real challenge. When I had my first 5.0 in a
programming subject, I got utterly depressed and questioned myself. "Am I
not smart enough? Do I even deserve to be in UP?" I vividly remember myself crying in the
bus on my way home. I had a hard time accepting my
failure because I studied really hard for that subject. I lost my self-esteem. But after a few days of reflection and a series of heart-to-heart conversations
with my family and friends, I picked myself up again. I promised myself that
that would be my first and last 5.0. Instead of wallowing in self-pity and
getting paralyzed, I used that failure as a driving force. Fast forward to
2013, I was able to keep my promise to myself--I didn't fail in any of my
subjects again. That was my first and last 5.0 throughout my five years in the
university. Although I was a few points away from being a laude, I guess what's
important is not really my final grade but the person I've become in the process.
My failure pushed me to take things seriously and study even harder. I
stumbled. I fell. I got back up and started all over again.
Now that I'm already a young professional, I think I've
already mastered the art of finding the silver lining in whatever life throws
at me. Working in the design and development team puts me in a position that is
very susceptible to making mistakes. But I've learned that when I make mistakes,
I also win because at least I'm a few steps closer to the right answer. Failure
is an avenue to success; it is not the end. If I would stop doing things just
because I'm afraid to fail, then how will I ever learn and succeed?
Last week, I received the result of my six sigma certification.
I passed the written examination, but I failed the final project presentation.
It was actually a split decision. One of the managers told me that he really
wanted me to get certified, but some members of the review board rejected my
project. Surprisingly, I didn't feel any bitterness when I received the result.
Although of course, I felt sad because it took me one year to finish that
project and now I have to start from scratch. At that moment, I needed to
remind myself that I'm not perfect and nobody is. We're all bound to make mistakes at some
point no matter how good we are. The truth is, we've all failed more than we
had succeeded. But then again, a failure is not a failure if it pushed you to
become stronger and wiser. It is not a failure if it made you a better
person. I failed at that mission. But I experienced new things along the way.
Failure is inevitable, but you can use it to your advantage.
You just need to reframe whatever life throws at you in a positive light. You
may have missed the bull's-eye, but you can always take another shot. Remember,
it's all for your gain.
